Monday, February 14, 2011

Sentencing postponed

It felt like I was going to be sentenced; for guilt, for failing to understand what was in front of me. And a sentence for S too; a label, a life of problems that I thought he would not have to know as his brother does.

In that mood I drove to the psychologist's. S was at his worst. For the half hour of driving he repeated incessantly 2 "jokes", barely pausing for breath. I turned up the radio, I sang loudly, to stop myself from screaming at him. By the time I found a carpark we were late, and I was frazzled. S was at his worst, blocking the psych's every attempt to engage him, although she made modest progress. Pretty much everything she saw and everything I told her seemed to confirm the likelihood of AS, but the fact that he also seemed unrelaxed, combined with a conversation she'd had with the OT who feels he's probably not, meant that she couldn't be sure. And so she decided to do a full assessment in 2 weeks.

I had to do some shopping this afternoon and set out with the lowest of expectations of him, only to discover him to be enthusiastic, co-operative, and fun to be with. I feel like I am going around the twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment