Thursday, November 11, 2010

"Stupid Pooheads!"

Why should this insult hurled at yours truly delight me so? P has been trying ever so hard for a few months now to get angry, as opposed to losing control. When things are really not going his way, he puts on quite a pantomime of pouting lips, crossed arms, hitting or even throwing things. Trouble is, he looks incredibly cute because he's really not very good at it; all the more reason to play my part, put on a stern, disapproving look, and let him go for it. And after my hand-wringing about the lack of connection I sometimes feel, these outbursts are characterised by his worried little eyes frequently meeting mine to see whether he's gone too far! I gave him a great deal of rope indeed; my instinct is that he needs to be able to do this if he is to have control of his emotional life.

Having brought to an end his pre-bed play session with S, his response was one of these performances. That in itself represented progress; generally, a play session cut short (as he felt this one to be) results in a melt-down; he is usually crushed by not having done everything he intended to do, no so much because of running out of time, but because of being distracted, and I think that that sense of disorganisation really upsets him. So yes, this was actually a good step forward for him. His brother's resistance was, unusually, weaker (just too tired I think), and so I focused on getting him to bed and warned the shouting gesticulating P to get into his or leave the room. He disappeared for a while, then stood in the doorway trying, I think, to look defiant with those searching, uncertain eyes. I told him to go where I couldn't see him (S and I were having a lovely cuddle), but instead he came in, uttered the aforementioned insult in an uncertain voice, and climbed into his bed. When S dropped off, I gave him a kiss and told him I loved him.

I had watched him "play" after school earlier with a boy he speaks about a lot, from a different class. I thought he'd made a mistake, that this kid did not in fact like him, as P trailed around behind the boy, who ran around making gun noises and looking at no-one in particular. To my amazement, on the way out, this boy asked his mother if P could come over for a play, and repeated the request to me. I don't know this child, but based on what I saw, as well as from what I've seen of P's other playmates, there seems to be a group a young boys with rudimentary social and play skills who are reinforcing each other's weaknesses rather than gaining skills from their more able peers. I don't mean to be completely negative about their play, but it does seem that the kids who are less able to connect spend time with other kids also lacking the ability; that might suit some, but others might flourish, I suspect, with some guidance. It may seem a long bow to draw, but showing me that he knows how to be angry, well, it is part of skilling up, of becoming more discerning about his lot, of being able to act on his emotions rather than being swamped by them -- isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment