Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Same person, different lives

I wrote this a few weeks ago.
I am half-way through what is, for me, a most extraordinary adventure. A return to the life I inhabited before having children, which has been all but scoured from my daily existence for nearly 7 years. And so I am away without them, for the first time, EVER, for a good week, presenting papers at not one but 2 conferences. The tumult of emotions that have accompanied this venture have drained me utterly. I can see my reflection in the screen of this netbook and I look so very tired and older than I thought. For me there is so little solid ground involved in this expedition: I have left the family that commands almost every unit of my time, energy, attention, affection, to place myself under the scrutiny of would-be colleagues, I suppose I could call them. I rose to the challenge of this because of a strong interest in the topic of one of the conferences, and added the other (which has just finished) because I felt that it would be good to make the most of the opportunity. But I am relying on old research rewritten with a new emphasis; nothing wrong with that in some ways, it’s just that I have so little sense of validity in my return to this fold. I have no formal affiliation, a minimal track record for my age, I am not paid in any respect (and I believe this matters), and because of my family circumstances, little of this is about to change.
Well, the response to the paper that I just presented I think was positive, but it’s not entirely clear. It consisted of a lot of intensely communicated advice from senior people in my field whose work I respect very much; what I extrapolate is that their attention demonstrated a worthiness in my work of their consideration, but the many helpful suggestions also suggested that they felt I needed in some sense to pull my socks up. It might not be quite that bad; after all, one of these people asked me to send a copy of the paper to him, another then asked if I’d do the same ... and I have had a slightly unrelated coup, in that in the days before I left, I had a piece accepted for publication by a journal which I am proud to be included in. This article I have been working on in dribs & drabs during the years at home with babies, to the point where sometimes I felt that I cut a figure of total ludicrousness. For instance, when S attended occasional care the year before last, I was physically and emotionally exhausted. I knew that leaving him there would rouse his anxiety and cause me more stress than it was worth. The saintly woman who ran the show, after years of working with stressed bubs of working mothers in long day care, was totally sympathetic to my admission that what I really wanted was just to have some mental space where I was not subjected to his voracious need for attention, and that I would rather stay quietly in his sight while he got used to being around other people in a new place. And so I spent many a morning perched in a patch of sun on the side of the sandpit working on precisely this article. And now it has crossed that seemingly impermeable divide between my chaotic personal life to the public domain – at least, it’s on its way.
But amid the emotions of wondering what I want from this trip and my battle with the anxiety with the legitimacy of being here, I found myself in an aeroplane with a crying baby a few rows away. It took me back to trips with my own, of course. Later, I made eye contact with this child after she’d cheered up. She mirrored every face, hand and voice gesture I made. That was enough to bring on the tears. I still, still, still feel anguish about this. Even though S now more or less officially does not have an asd (much has happened in the last few months and I will provide an update), he, almsot as much as his brother, has not had such a relationship with me in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment